Friday, December 17, 2010

A Special Surprise!!!!

Yesterday, I received a special gift in the mail.  I thought I would share it with you, my art friends, because you can appreciate the honor of such a gift.  Mr. Welt sent me an original James Rizzi painting as a Christmas gift.  How awesome!  I had the privilege of meeting Henry last year when my husband and I went to New York City. He said this painting reminded him of us.  It is titled “Me and You. You and Me.”  100_5658   This gift has special meaning to me because of the difficult things I have gone through in the past year.  Both my parents and my only sibling are chronically ill and were hospitalized several times this past year.  I started my first year in a new school and was struggling to not let my personal life  impact my effectiveness as a teacher.  I felt  that there was so much more I wanted to do with my students, but I was emotionally drained.  Then I started teaching about James Rizzi.  The events that occurred (see previous posts) after getting in contact with Henry and corresponding, were amazing.  I was receiving the affirmation that I needed at such a difficult time.   I am the only art teacher in my building and one of two in my district.  Sometimes I question my skills as a teacher because I am all alone ( I am sure some of you can relate).  It may sound silly, but I needed to be valued.  So…thank you for valuing what I do as a teacher!

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this story with your readers. I think so many of us are little islands. I too am the only elementary art teacher in my district, and while the high school art teacher is in the same K-12 building, our paths rarely cross, and very few other teachers understand what it really is that an art teacher does.

    Best wishes to you this holiday season and prayers for the health and well-being of your beloved family members.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Phyl...have a wonderful Holiday!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cool present to get in the mail! I'm really excited for you. I am glad to have crossed paths with you...not only are you a great teacher, but I can tell you are a wonderful person! What you do is very special...you are very talented and your kids are so lucky to have you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great story and my heart goes out to you and your family. I felt entirely alone as well at my district for a very long time. There are no great chances to get ideas and thoughts from others through conferences, etc...nobody seems to care too much-
    that being said...this blogging has changes so much for me and I think others too who are in the same situation. Use this to share, chat, confirm your ideas. People really appreciate what you have to offer. Keep plugging, sister! We are a little family here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, It's taken me too long to read your post, Kristyn, but I wanted to thank you for your kind words. But you really do undervalue your contribution. I should send back to you (but I won't because I love them) the letters which you forwarded to me, that were written by your students to James Rizzi. As warming as these letters are, full of enthusiasm and musing about inspiration, to James because they recognize his deep and authentic connection with your students, they are equally the best possible tribute to you, as their teacher. How many teachers get to hear from their students about the meaning of inspiration, about how they were motivated and about how much different an assignment made in their outlook on life. You could not have received a clearer statement of your effectiveness as a teacher than the ones your students shared with James Rizzi. Happy new year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The more we all share this feeling with each other, the more connected we feel. Thanks for being open about these feelings and validating my own. : )

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...